Grey Matter Genealogy FAQs
When should I hire a professional?
- You are stuck in researching a specific ancestor and do not know how or where to find to find information to break down this “brick wall.”
- You want a review on the accuracy of your work and suggestions for further avenues for research.
- You do not understand what your DNA testing results mean or how to use your DNA matches to further your ancestral research.
- You have the interest but not the time nor skills to conduct high quality genealogical research.
- You are researching in an area where you do not have expertise.
- You are interested in joining a lineage society.
And these are only the beginning of the reasons people hire professional genealogists!
What is a “Certified Genealogist”?
Genealogists who submit a portfolio of specific work products to the Board for Certification of Genealogist and pass the rigorous evaluation process attain the credential of certification. At this time there are less than 300 Certified Genealogists. These genealogists are considered proficient in all areas of genealogical research and analysis including locating and interpreting evidence, assembling proof of identity and relationships, and preparing sound reports.
Certified Genealogists also belong to a network that can be accessed for assistance in specialty areas.
I am a Board Certified Genealogist (certificate no. 1131), issued by the Board for Certification of Genealogist, Washington, DC.